Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mother and Child

Mother and Child
My Sweet Rose painting
Naiade oil painting
Nighthawks Hopper
¡¡¡¡ "Yes; I suppose we can," said Sue, without enthusiasm. ¡¡¡¡ "And aren't we going to?" ¡¡¡¡ "I don't like to say no, dear Jude; but I feel just the same about it now as I have done all along. I have just the same dread lest an iron contract should extinguish your tenderness for me, and mine for you, as it did between our unfortunate parents." ¡¡¡¡ "Still, what can we do? I do love you, as you know, Sue." ¡¡¡¡ "I know it abundantly. But I think I would much rather go on living always as lovers, as we are living now, and only meeting by day. It is so much sweeter--for the woman at least, and when she is sure of the man. And henceforward we needn't be so particular as we have been about appearances." ¡¡¡¡ "Our experiences of matrimony with others have not been encouraging, I own," said he with some gloom; "either owing to our own dissatisfied, unpractical natures, or by our misfortune. But we two----"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mother and Child