Monday, November 26, 2007

Woman with a Parasol

Woman with a Parasol
The Virgin and Child with St Anne
The Water lily Pond
Although the early September weather was sultry, her arm, from her dabbling in the curds, was as cold and damp to his mouth as a new-gathered mushroom, and tasted of the whey. But she was such a sheaf of susceptibilities that her pulse was accelerated by the touch, her blood driven to her finger-ends, and the cool arms flushed hot. Then, as though her heart had said, `Is coyness longer necessary? Truth is truth between man and woman, as between man and man, ` she lifted her eyes, and they beamed devotedly into his, as her lip rose in a tender half-smile. ¡¡¡¡`Do you know why I did that, Tess?' he said. ¡¡¡¡`Because you love me very much!' ¡¡¡¡`Yes, and as a preliminary to a new entreaty.' ¡¡¡¡`Not again!' ¡¡¡¡She looked a sudden fear that her resistance might break down under her own desire. ¡¡¡¡`O, Tessy!' he went on, `I cannot think why you are so tantalizing. Why do you disappoint me so? You seem almost like a coquette, upon my life you do - a coquette of the first urban water! They blow hot and blow cold, just as you do; and it is the very last sort of thing to expect to find in a retreat like Talbothays... . And yet, dearest, `he quickly added, observing how the remark had cut her, `I know you to be the most honest, spotless creature that ever lived. So how can I suppose you a flirt? Tess, why don't you like the idea of being my wife, if you love me as you seem to do?' ¡¡¡¡`I have never said I don't like the idea, and I never could say it; because - it isn't true!' ¡¡¡¡The stress now getting beyond endurance her lip quivered, and she was obliged to go away. Clare was so pained and perplexed that he ran after and caught her in the passage. ¡¡¡¡`Tell me, tell me!' he said, passionately clasping her, in forgetfulness of his curdy hands: `do tell me that you won't belong to anybody but me!'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

art painting gallery

Anonymous said...

"Woman with a Parasol"
1 Comment - Show Original Post