Thursday, September 4, 2008

Claude Monet Venice Twilight painting

Claude Monet Venice Twilight paintingAlphonse Maria Mucha The Judgement of Paris paintingPierre Auguste Renoir Two Sisters (On the Terrace) painting
(and half seriously, for G. Herrold's death, Max's arrest, and my departure left the goats much in need of herding), but the ex-Chancellor clearly believed I was baiting him, and looking ready to strike me. His Tutoring, I decided, must wait, since the crowd outside would not. I reassured him that I had no intent to denounce him publicly or otherwise reveal either his old attempt on myor his various dependencies on Ira Hector. The one I forgave, the other was his affair. Neither did I want anything from him, except possibly the answer to a final question. . .
"Ask it," he grumbled. "I won't stand for blackmail, but I'm obliged to You for letting sleeping dogs lie. What I mean, I'm notbeholden, You understand, but when a fellow needs a hand, why, I'll give him the shirt off my back."
I thought of the hungry undergraduates upon whom he'd bestowed cufflinks and desk-barometers, but contented myself with inquiring whether Anastasia was my sister.
"Aha," he said, as if spying some ulterior motive in the question, and his expression turned fatuous again. "I'dheard you two were sweet on each other! Well, don't You worry, lad --Sir - - I don't believe Stoker's filthy talk about her and that George fellow. He says Pete Greene's lost his head over her too -- fellow served under me in C.R. Two, heck of a fine Joe. But I'd never believe that flunking Stoker!"

No comments: